College – History
In 2 June 2014Dr.sc. admin. Ināra Upmale becomes the director of the College.
The College has existed for ninety-five years and is approaching its centenary. We are ready for new technological challenges in terms of modernizing the study environment, to improve the quality of the studies, and for an approach that is student-centred.
In 17 April 2012
In 2012out of 58 institutions of higher education, we rank in the top three in Latvia (Data by: Ministry of Education and Science in Latvia) of international study of the quality of study programmes.
In 1 January 2010
In April 1996
From 1976 until 1985The period from 1976 until 1985 is associated with the name of the director Anna Ārmane. The Young Communist League organization, glorifying the Soviet spirit, is developed in the school, and a great deal of attention is paid to military-patriotic education. Instead of consultations, which were held from the very beginning of the school, entrance examinations are introduced.
In 20 November 1936the consecration of the school building takes place. The new school building is intended to host up to a hundred students. It has broad lecture-rooms, laboratories, holding rooms and a hostel with the necessary premises. The first gas shelter of such measure in Latvia is built in the basements of the school, which, during air strikes, could shelter up to 300 people. The shelter is also intended for the training of local population, where they are trained how to act during air strikes. The shelter is designed as a kind of underground hospital. The Latvian Red Cross Merciful Nursing School operates in the building.
In 5 October 1935the foundation for the Merciful Nursing School is laid on 5 Jāņa Asara street. Designed by architect Aleksandrs Klinklāvs, the three-story brick building is intended not only to serve as a nursing school, but also as a children’s health care institution. The building has retained its status – medical school – throughout its existence. The building now has the status of cultural monument of State significance.
In 1921the first 24 students start their studying by attending lectures, as well as doing practical work at the hospital. Uniforms are introduced, education and good behaviour standards are developed. Nurses who have finished highest qualification courses, as well as have studied in London, Vienna and Denmark are working in the school. We can be especially proud of four nurses: Marta Celmiņa, Elza Grīvāne, Elza Nulle-Siecenieks and Justīne Kušķe who, during the time period from 1920 until 1940, have received the world’s highest award for nurses – Florence Nightingale medal.
1920In the autumn of 1920, following the initiative of the head of Latvian Red Cross Jānis Jankovskis the first Merciful Nursing School in Latvia is founded – the current Red Cross Medical College of Riga Stradiņš University, thus laying the foundation for nursing education in Latvia. The school is being structured after the model of Florence Nightingale schools, and a surgeon, the director of Latvian Red Cross Hospital, Aleksandrs Neibergs becomes its first director.